The Fraser Coast South Burnett Region extends from the Great Bunya Mountains in the west, to Woodgate in the North, to Fraser Island in the east and south to Rainbow Beach. The Fraser Coast region is a fast-growing community with a large mature-aged population.
Tourism is a major driver of economic growth for the region and represents the highest proportion of total employment within the region. With the regional industry's skill and knowledge base struggling to keep up the growth of the regions visitors, the Skills Formation Strategy is critical to the management of the industries sustainable growth.
From initial research a number of key issues were identified to be targeted by the strategy:
- Management need to understand the impact of human resource practices and policies on staffing and skilling issues.
- Attracting an appropriate workforce.
- Retaining an appropriate workforce.
- Industry image - current perceptions that it is not a real job, employ backpackers, low wages and bad conditions, little or no career paths and lacks professionalism.
- Lack of communication within industry (internal) and with industry stakeholders (external).
- The need for industry specific training systems and improved delivery.