Tablelands Industry Workforce Group (TIWG) was born out of the Queensland Skills Plan 2008 as the Tablelands Skills Formation Strategy. In July 2010 the group became its own Incorporated Organisation. The group has now entered into a formal arrangement with community not-for-profit organisation Q.I.T.E. TIWG has established itself as a high profile, regional point of information and connection for issues surrounding workforce and are engaging industry, government and training providers at all levels.
TIWG is a not-for profit industry and community group who collaborate to identify, improve and expand a sustainable workforce within the Tablelands region, west of Cairns. The group is made up of industry champions from across a range of industry's, chambers of commerce, government and community not-for-profit representatives. TIWG works to create partnerships and address workforce issues to grow a skilled and sustainable workforce. Their mission is to make the Tablelands a region of choice by creating a skilled and sustainable workforce.
- Attraction and retention of a skilled workforce
- Minimising the exodus of young people from the region
- Ageing workforce issues
- Mining opportunities
- Skills shortages in a range of sectors
TIWG breaks down into the following working reference groups, based on industry 'clusters' or community needs, in order to achieve their primary objectives:
- Agricultural Cluster
- Metal Trades Cluster
- Image and Perception Sub Group
These sub-groups and clusters continue to identify issues and provide suggested actions to all levels of government, training providers, industry and community groups.
TIWG continues to:
- Engage industry and industry leaders through ongoing industry/regionally owned processes of engagement
- Connect with employment service providers to address workforce and labour supply issues
- Work with the education and training sector to better support industry requirements, by enhancing the capacity of the education and training system; and
- Engage the community to better support industry workforce action plans.